Many users who use the PrestaShop e-shop often complain about slow page loading. Whether it is a poorly selected type of hosting plan along with the number of products and other factors, PrestaShop can be pre-set in its administration so that the web page loads as quickly as possible.
Smarty is the PHP kernel of the PrestaShop template. Make sure you have the correct configuration configured, follow these steps:
- You can find the Smarty section at the top of the TOOLS / Performance section
- Set the template compile to "Compile templates if the files have been updated"
- Make sure that you have the Temporary Cache set to "YES."
Under the Smarty section, you will find an optional feature section. This section introduces some optional features that can be disabled to improve performance
- If you do not have any products in variants, set Combination to "NO"
- Here is also the Property tab, which shows properties for products. By default, the feature is turned on.
- The last item is Group of Customers. Disabling this feature will not create customer groups, all customers will be individual and will not be subject to price groups, etc.
CCC (Combination, Compression, and Cache)
The term "CCC" describes the file optimization process to reduce the loading time. With CCC, you can increase performance without touching the code. Here are the options you can choose:
- Smart cache for CSS - PrestaShop combines all CSS files into one to reduce server requirements each time you visit the site.
- Minify HTML - HTML minification involves removing unnecessary HTML, which makes it faster to load. Unnecessary code can be comments, blank lines, unnecessary characters, etc. The minification process makes the code more compact and faster to load.
- Apache Optimization - Provides .htaccess code to help improve caching on the Apache web server.
Media servers allow you to upload static content from another server (generally, this service is called CDN - Content Delivery Network). PrestaShop requires this option with CCC. Simply enter a domain or subdomain name and save it.
Encryption refers to the encryption algorithm used to generate cookies. If you are using a server where mcrypt is enabled, then use Rijndeal instead. It's faster encryption than Blowfish.
There are different types of caches that can be activated and improve PrestaShop performance. You can use this section to enable or disable caching. Note that each of the storage options requires PrestaShop extension. The file storage system uses a hard drive and is generally the least effective. Here are the cache options:
- Memcached - Memcached runs best if you use multiple servers for your website. It must be enabled, of course, in the PHP configuration of your server.
- APC - APC is an abbreviation for "Alternative PHP Cache". Unlike Memcache, he works with only one server. It must be enabled, of course, in the PHP configuration of your server.
- Xcache - requires a lighttpd server. It must be enabled, of course, in the PHP configuration of your server.
Note: Caching can be set only for Savana 500 - 9000 multihosting plans - PHP 5.3 only Xcache, PHP 5.5 and higher ZendOPcache.
Most pictures of your ecommerce are pictures. These are managed in several ways.
In the CONFIGURATION / Pictures section you can set the size of the images that will be used for the products.
In the next section, PrestaShop allows you to set image quality, which will also affect image loading time. The higher the quality, the larger the set. Larger files equal more loading time.
Handling pictures in PrestaShop has gone from its earlier versions. Images are organized to be used for responsive design. This allows customers to see a website presentation no matter what device they use.
If you use many images for products, there is a possibility that they are not the same size, some of them may be unnecessarily large. You can regenerate all images in one size using Regenerate Thumbnails. Keep in mind that if you want to take advantage of this feature, many product presentations will overwrite thousands of images. Therefore, use this feature at a time when the site is less busy.